Adrian helped be setting my working space and told me how to set up the camera correctly for the situation.
I started photographing the animation. It took me about 2 hours to finish photographing it. At the end,I noticed I had forgotten the moon so I just photographed it separately and hoped I could manage to put it in my animation.
After imported all the pictures on adobe bridge and renamed them. I then imported those into after effects and started editing the stop motion animation. I had some problems with adobe bridge so this took me quite a while. I fully edited the animation.
Once I had it exported I put it on garage band so I could see the animation and hear the track simultaneously. ( Adrien advised and show me how to do it).
When everything was perfectly synched I put the track on after effects and saved it!
Here’s the animation! https://youtu.be/6MAsn4cespo
Research: First I researched into different artist and animators. I found all kind of methods to use paper in animation. I decided from the start that I wanted to do a stop animation with paper and I looked some incredibly detailed ones…!
I could only animate a fairy tail from the Grimm’s brothers and as there are so many I couldn’t decide. I called a friend and asked her which one was her favourite and she said “Bremen’s Musicians” where there are 4 animals that are going to die if they don’t escape from their owners so each one of them decides to escape and become a musician!
For the animation, I decided to use silhouettes on a coloured background with a light box bellow. I started by trying out different backgrounds.
And then cut the scenario with 4 different houses in the back representing each animal: The donkey, the dog, the cat and the rooster.
Once that was done I had to begin thinking about the animals silhouettes. It was quite hard to find or make good silhouettes but after a while thinking I decided to pick up different positions of each animals to make it look like it was walking and make those positions go from really small to big so it looked like they were coming closer. I printed the silhouettes and started cutting them. It took me about one day and a half to cut them all!
Finally I had to choose the instruments for each animal. I as knew I wanted to do the background song myself on garage band I first tried the instruments and once the song was finished I gave each animal one instrument. The process was fast.
Everything was ready so I booked the photo studio with Adrian, whom was really useful and started photographing….
Project 3, First contact with animation
For the first workshop of this project we had to make a small wire or card model/puppet to work with. We only had the afternoon so it could be a simple model. I used wire and I was planning on just making a small human structure but then I knew that we had plasticine available to use and I began to think that I would probably make an animal based character so I made a simple head with googly eyes and thin ears with an impressed kind of scared expression:
The day after making the model we went to the stop-motion workshop in the photography studio. The tutor introduced himself and we started really fast due to the lack of time we had to come up with a small animation. Divided in groups we started the animation. A table, a background, artificial lights, camera on manual mode and the remote to make it shoot from distance was all we needed. My group had a small problem with the background at first because our puppets were not visible but then we changed it into a normal white background and we started.
I always had in mind what the tutor had said: “the smallest the movement on each picture the smoothest it looks and the end” and that 1 second = 25 Frames (smooth) or 1 second = 12 frames (jerky).
We had about 30 pictures at the end of the session which was very little to make an animation but I guess that 5 people moving their puppets after each photo takes it’s time… So later that day we gathered in the same room and watched 2 presentations about the basics of animation and the information was given to us really fast so I took all the notes I could but the tutor said the presentations would be on google drive so we could look at them with more detail. Later on all of us headed to the computer room to create our animation using abobe bridge and after effects ( quickly explained to us previously) and we received a sheet with all the instructions to make a small animation. My group sat together and this was the result:
My puppet appears on the left side.