Later on, I made a few extra eyes to add some emotions. Meanwhile, I got the email from my dad with the pictures of the gym so I printed them and put them on the set to start picturing how I want the set to look like.
The pictures are not great quality but as I know the gym by heart it’s easy for me. I will use paper with a wood pattern for the floor. That’s what I decided.
After that I started storyboarding the stories I wrote and Eve told me that I should write under each picture what’s happening, the dialogue and arrows indicating what he character is doing.
The project is going as schedule but it is still a lot of work ahead. I am really excited about the final outcome and I love how this project is making me grow and understand what it takes to pursue animation. (though I am aware that in the animation world I won’t be able to participate so much in one animation, I would be responsible for a small part)
Today I had another quick tutorial with Helen. It was really helpful. Helen suggested I would do extra details of plasticine like several eyes, beaks and the legs so I could make the bird walk. Given the fact that in the original model the legs are not strong enough to hold and balance the body. With these details, I can zoom in on my animation and make everything neater. So that is what I did right after Helen left:
Today I spent the whole day building my puppet. Working with plasticine is way harder than I thought. The colours blend in really fast and I have to wash my hands regularly. I didn’t adapt well to the plasticine moulding. It was the least successful part of my project but I tried to “go around”.
This morning, about Lucy’s lecture on the course magazine I went right up to Simon, the technician, with my balsa pieces to check if he could drill them. (even though he’s only available on Mondays to foundation students). Luckily he said yes and it took in literally one minute do drill all the pieces. I didn’t take my phone to document the drilling but I have the drilled pieces:
I spent the rest of the day building the puppet skeleton. I took pictures and made 2 videos of the process. I intend to make a small compilation of time lapse videos.
At the end, I gummed taped the whole armature. I managed to finish it, which was great. Now I really start to see how my figure will look like.
Before the sketchbook workshop with Helen, I researched a few Do It Yourself sketchbooks on Pinterest. It gave a few ideas!
For Helen’s workshop, that was supposed to be taught by Ruth, I took lots of paper of different colours because I already knew the kind of pages I wanted to work on during Copenhagen. However, when I got there-there were a lot more possibilities than the ones I researched. Helen began to show us each sketchbook and after that, we received a handout for each one of them and we began trying it! I loved the small sketchbooks from the minute I saw them so I decided to make two. They are called the maze sketchbooks. I also tried the triangular maze but it’s not really handy to draw in, as Helen said, it is more like a commercial type of sketchbook. When the morning workshop was over I had several experiences.
After lunch, the workshop continues and Helen showed everyone how to sue the pages. There were two ways doing them depending on how we wanted the sketchbook to look like, either with a hardcover with fabric pasted on it or a soft one. We could also choose the side we give the final nut on if for example, we wanted to put some kind of thread on the outside. I decided to make a sketchbook with a soft cover and my nut is on the inside. I also made two maze sketchbooks, one with a white sheet and another one with a pink one. Once I looked through all the examples of sketchbooks on the table I noticed a small one, which name I can’t recall, that had a watercolour background with tracing paper pasted on the top the person drew on the top of the tracing paper with the fine line. I loved the idea so I made a bigger version of it.
After that, in my studio, I got started with the covers of each sketchbook. For the square and stitched one I simply pasted pieces of a journal, black paper and a small piece of fabric. I glued them to the cover and added a PVA layer later.
For the two small ones I just found two images from a newspaper that matched the pink paper and for the other one, I just covered it with black paper.
The one that stretches, where I painted a watercolour background I made a fine liner drawing on the cover based on an image I found on Pinterest. The back cover has the same fabric as the square sketchbook and red watercolour
For the square one, I posted pictures of Copenhagen in it.
In the photoshop workshop with Claire, we learned how to edit several sheets and mount them into a white background. We learned about image resolution and Claire explained everything really clearly. I could finally understand pixels and image sizes.
After that, we adjusted and resized those images and pasted them on a white sheet. It was quite an easy process and since the explanation was clear I didn’t struggle at all to do it!
The indesign workshop with Claire was really helpful. There was a small introduction video and then started. We learned how to:
Create an A3 document – A4 facing pages or an A3
Place an Image or Graphic in our Layout – we used the rectangle tool to place images and rezise them to fit in the frame.
Create a text box – again with the rectangle tool and then the text one.
Change the Font, Size and colour – Choose between option in the window.
Add colour and graphics
Export to print
This was my last piece (first experience):
For assessment we have to do the same process but with our exhibition review. So I gave it a try and at first I was struggling because it was not so easy as when Claire was there. However, after a while I started learning by myself. Here are my tries:
And my final one is this:
All its left to do is adding a caption for the picture.