Fundamentals of Sound classes

An overall of the course and Sound

Advertisements

For someone who had some expectations about this course, I still get surprised every day. In general, the course is even better than I thought would be. I realize it opens me so many doors… I just have to be careful not to get lost between them!

My classmates are the nicest people. Always ready to help, share and discuss and that’s crucial because I’ll probably stay in touch with these people and work with them. It’s funny because it looks like I’m just getting used to how nice and welcoming people are in Porto.

About the Sound classes, in particular, I am just loving to learn the science part of music. How octaves work and tones. I already know most of the things but just because I studied piano and it happened already twice that my brain clicks when there’s some explanation about notes or something because it’s a different explanation for the same things but it helps me understand it through another perspective.

I also like the rhythm we’re taking things. The sound is not an easy thing to understand 100% so the classes don’t flow as fast as others, which is good.

I am really happy with these classes and the course in general.

Stay tuned!

Movie “The Danish Girl”

I have absolutely no words about this movie. On this particular movie, I was very much impressed by the main actor’s performance. It was just unbelievable. shortly, it’s about transgender. A “normal” man who later finds out he is trapped in a woman’s body.

His transformation throughout the movie is amazing. And the way he moves and feels like women, it just had a great impact.

When it comes to shot techniques and things like that, I’m afraid I didn’t pay much attention. Maybe because the story and the characters speak for themselves.

My favourite scene is when Einar/Lili (the main character) is watching a prostitute and copying her moves and the scene on the mirror. They’re both really shocking and sad, yet critical.

Here is the one in the mirror

And the other one I couldn’t find it.

 

Editing (where everything went kind of wrong)

When I started editing I noticed that no matter the speed, the animation didn’t really look smooth. The motion of the puppet doesn’t feel “real” and there’s too much movement between frames. I was seriously disappointed but I guess it happens… The project went really well but sometimes the outcome is not great. I focused on finish it. The part I liked the most was syncing the voice with the Bird’s beak. It felt amazing when I played from the beginning and I had the feeling that the bird was really talking. I learned a lot of things:

  • How to change an audio tune on garage band
  • How to export audio on garage band
  • How to work with audio on iMovie
  • How to cut audio and sync it with the video on after effects
  • How to export an iMovie file.

 

“Making of” making!

I am curently working on the “making of” video where I’ll have a compilation of photos and tmie-lapse videos of me making the puppet, the set and the animation itself. It is going prey well since I am using iMovie to make it simple. I have it almost complete and now I can focus only on the animation.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 01.37.31.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 01.37.42.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 01.38.04.png

Quick Reflection: I believe this video will add a lot to my project. It will have a greater impact if I show how everything was done. For now I am slightly worried about time but I will figure it out. If I would repeat this project I’d say I’d probably start it earlier ( but I guess that’s what everyone says ) and I would make a bigger set because my current one feels small for my puppet proportions.

Booking problems and A1 sheets

When I was booking the photo studio for my animation I was surprised by the available slots.. I only had wendnesday so I asked for the whole day on wendnesday and that’s what I got!

The fact that the studio was overbooked actually gave me more time to do some extra sheets I wanted:

IMG_20170516_155554.jpg

 

IMG_20170516_153513.jpg

The set design sheet and the storyboarding sheet.

I also had more time to finish my set. I painted the volleyball field lines and painted the balls as well. I also added the 3D logos of the other existing birds and the club logo on the back wall.

IMG_20170517_094053.jpg

I am quite happy with the set and now I am definitely ready to start animating. It’s a bit scary to think about the short time I have left… This project has been a huge step in my learning. Hopefully, everything will go ok with the animation part.

FMP – Reflection (on work so far)

For now, everything is going as planned. Of course, the plan changed along the way but I think that’s the idea also. Regardless the tight schedule I will focus on doing the maximum.

My research for this project has made me move forward to animation and filmmaking in a way I would never imagine. I have been highlighting research almost everyday and every day I learn something new and useful on animation. I read about puppet making, film basics, dialogue, script writing, background music, storyboarding, etc.. All things I will use in the future and I must say the research really pays off and I’m loving learning new things by myself. I think that my research is the strongest point of my project so far.

The feedback is also a great part of my project. Both Helen and my peers have been quite helpful and that showed me that it is always better to have each other’s opinions to make our work better. With this project, I am learning a lot about the importance of feedback and the impact it had on my project so far

The next stages of my project are all about making so I think I have a pretty solid base.

I still have a lot of work ahead of me, making the set, making the animation, and edit everything but I feel like I learned so much already. Now I have to keep up with my work and focus on moving it forward.