When I started editing I noticed that no matter the speed, the animation didn’t really look smooth. The motion of the puppet doesn’t feel “real” and there’s too much movement between frames. I was seriously disappointed but I guess it happens… The project went really well but sometimes the outcome is not great. I focused on finish it. The part I liked the most was syncing the voice with the Bird’s beak. It felt amazing when I played from the beginning and I had the feeling that the bird was really talking. I learned a lot of things:
How to change an audio tune on garage band
How to export audio on garage band
How to work with audio on iMovie
How to cut audio and sync it with the video on after effects
I spent the whole day making the animation. Moving the puppet over and over again. It was really exhausting but I was curious the final animation and that kept me motivated. I found it really hard to move the puppet and not leave marks but I did my best and some say that that even keeps the animation alive. (who knows). I am hoping for the best, I still have to edit but since I have some experience it should be relatively fast.
I am really excited!
Note: on my journal I have all the technical notes that Adrien told me about camera settings and lighting. For the editing phase, I will also use a sheet given by Adrien on a previous project on after effects. Big shoutout to Adrien whose the most helpful Technician for me!
I am curently working on the “making of” video where I’ll have a compilation of photos and tmie-lapse videos of me making the puppet, the set and the animation itself. It is going prey well since I am using iMovie to make it simple. I have it almost complete and now I can focus only on the animation.
Quick Reflection: I believe this video will add a lot to my project. It will have a greater impact if I show how everything was done. For now I am slightly worried about time but I will figure it out. If I would repeat this project I’d say I’d probably start it earlier ( but I guess that’s what everyone says ) and I would make a bigger set because my current one feels small for my puppet proportions.
When I was booking the photo studio for my animation I was surprised by the available slots.. I only had wendnesday so I asked for the whole day on wendnesday and that’s what I got!
The fact that the studio was overbooked actually gave me more time to do some extra sheets I wanted:
The set design sheet and the storyboarding sheet.
I also had more time to finish my set. I painted the volleyball field lines and painted the balls as well. I also added the 3D logos of the other existing birds and the club logo on the back wall.
I am quite happy with the set and now I am definitely ready to start animating. It’s a bit scary to think about the short time I have left… This project has been a huge step in my learning. Hopefully, everything will go ok with the animation part.
I finally finished my volleyball net. The project is going as planned though I am leaving a lot of work for the last week. I am loving the experience of this project and I keep learning everyday. I feel like I am pushing myself every day, in a good way.
Now I am looking at some videos before starting the animation… As I researched, it really helps if we have a video of a person making the same gestures we want the bird to make so I asked my dad to make some video with different gestures and expressions for the different lines of the Bird. And so he did!
(just a screenshot of the video)
With this I intend to study the movement so the bird looks more natural! I also asked Lucy Barlett (my voice), to film herself talking so I could study her lip movement so it would be easier to sync with the Bird’s beak.
I am getting closer to animate and it has been a long long journey. I think that technically, the project is working but my problems will appear while making the animation and I won’t have a lot of time to fix them. Perhaps the plasticine moulding could have gone better but I still have time to fix it. I am truly excited to start “shooting”
I started my set design. First of all, I did some research on weaving in order to make my volleyball net. It was the only way I thought I could make it. I actually came up with the idea really fast and it worked pretty well, I must say I am proud.
I painted the set (the card box) black on the outside so it doesnt look so ugly and I changed my mind about the wooden floor. I want lighter tone of wood.
Through all this process I am making time lapse videos. I am also doing some sketchbook work on the set design, trying out some bacgrounds, colours and mechanisms. When it comes to the net I decided to use balsa for the pols and paint them yellow.
And this is what I’ve done so far for the set..
Extra news of the day : I finally found the voice to my character!! Lucy Barlett from our course! She agreed on being Rita’s voice and as I asked she even filmed herself talking so I could see the movement of her mouth. THANK YOU LUCY!!!
Later on, I made a few extra eyes to add some emotions. Meanwhile, I got the email from my dad with the pictures of the gym so I printed them and put them on the set to start picturing how I want the set to look like.
The pictures are not great quality but as I know the gym by heart it’s easy for me. I will use paper with a wood pattern for the floor. That’s what I decided.
After that I started storyboarding the stories I wrote and Eve told me that I should write under each picture what’s happening, the dialogue and arrows indicating what he character is doing.
The project is going as schedule but it is still a lot of work ahead. I am really excited about the final outcome and I love how this project is making me grow and understand what it takes to pursue animation. (though I am aware that in the animation world I won’t be able to participate so much in one animation, I would be responsible for a small part)