I spent the whole day making the animation. Moving the puppet over and over again. It was really exhausting but I was curious the final animation and that kept me motivated. I found it really hard to move the puppet and not leave marks but I did my best and some say that that even keeps the animation alive. (who knows). I am hoping for the best, I still have to edit but since I have some experience it should be relatively fast.
I am really excited!
Note: on my journal I have all the technical notes that Adrien told me about camera settings and lighting. For the editing phase, I will also use a sheet given by Adrien on a previous project on after effects. Big shoutout to Adrien whose the most helpful Technician for me!
I am curently working on the “making of” video where I’ll have a compilation of photos and tmie-lapse videos of me making the puppet, the set and the animation itself. It is going prey well since I am using iMovie to make it simple. I have it almost complete and now I can focus only on the animation.
Quick Reflection: I believe this video will add a lot to my project. It will have a greater impact if I show how everything was done. For now I am slightly worried about time but I will figure it out. If I would repeat this project I’d say I’d probably start it earlier ( but I guess that’s what everyone says ) and I would make a bigger set because my current one feels small for my puppet proportions.
When I was booking the photo studio for my animation I was surprised by the available slots.. I only had wendnesday so I asked for the whole day on wendnesday and that’s what I got!
The fact that the studio was overbooked actually gave me more time to do some extra sheets I wanted:
The set design sheet and the storyboarding sheet.
I also had more time to finish my set. I painted the volleyball field lines and painted the balls as well. I also added the 3D logos of the other existing birds and the club logo on the back wall.
I am quite happy with the set and now I am definitely ready to start animating. It’s a bit scary to think about the short time I have left… This project has been a huge step in my learning. Hopefully, everything will go ok with the animation part.
I finally finished my volleyball net. The project is going as planned though I am leaving a lot of work for the last week. I am loving the experience of this project and I keep learning everyday. I feel like I am pushing myself every day, in a good way.
Now I am looking at some videos before starting the animation… As I researched, it really helps if we have a video of a person making the same gestures we want the bird to make so I asked my dad to make some video with different gestures and expressions for the different lines of the Bird. And so he did!
(just a screenshot of the video)
With this I intend to study the movement so the bird looks more natural! I also asked Lucy Barlett (my voice), to film herself talking so I could study her lip movement so it would be easier to sync with the Bird’s beak.
I am getting closer to animate and it has been a long long journey. I think that technically, the project is working but my problems will appear while making the animation and I won’t have a lot of time to fix them. Perhaps the plasticine moulding could have gone better but I still have time to fix it. I am truly excited to start “shooting”
I started my set design. First of all, I did some research on weaving in order to make my volleyball net. It was the only way I thought I could make it. I actually came up with the idea really fast and it worked pretty well, I must say I am proud.
I painted the set (the card box) black on the outside so it doesnt look so ugly and I changed my mind about the wooden floor. I want lighter tone of wood.
Through all this process I am making time lapse videos. I am also doing some sketchbook work on the set design, trying out some bacgrounds, colours and mechanisms. When it comes to the net I decided to use balsa for the pols and paint them yellow.
And this is what I’ve done so far for the set..
Extra news of the day : I finally found the voice to my character!! Lucy Barlett from our course! She agreed on being Rita’s voice and as I asked she even filmed herself talking so I could see the movement of her mouth. THANK YOU LUCY!!!
Later on, I made a few extra eyes to add some emotions. Meanwhile, I got the email from my dad with the pictures of the gym so I printed them and put them on the set to start picturing how I want the set to look like.
The pictures are not great quality but as I know the gym by heart it’s easy for me. I will use paper with a wood pattern for the floor. That’s what I decided.
After that I started storyboarding the stories I wrote and Eve told me that I should write under each picture what’s happening, the dialogue and arrows indicating what he character is doing.
The project is going as schedule but it is still a lot of work ahead. I am really excited about the final outcome and I love how this project is making me grow and understand what it takes to pursue animation. (though I am aware that in the animation world I won’t be able to participate so much in one animation, I would be responsible for a small part)
Today I had another quick tutorial with Helen. It was really helpful. Helen suggested I would do extra details of plasticine like several eyes, beaks and the legs so I could make the bird walk. Given the fact that in the original model the legs are not strong enough to hold and balance the body. With these details, I can zoom in on my animation and make everything neater. So that is what I did right after Helen left: